Similarly, you can move to blog posts about any of the other houses below.
The First House:
Although the Ascendant (aka rising sign) and the first house are not the same thing, they are oftentimes lumped together because the majority of people have the same sign for both. Some astrologers refer to the rising sign as the person we identify with when we’re young. This is because the first house in astrology is literally our first actual house and the very beginning of our lives. Because it has roots here and we know it well, it’s also our chosen persona when we aren’t in our most comfortable environment because it can make us more comfortable.
The first house is frequently referred to as the “house of the self” or”the house of the ego.” It’s often how we appear without even realizing it. It’s our demeanor, the way we carry ourselves, our natural body language, our basic ego, our self-identity, how we present ourselves to outsiders, our most outward human 02layer, our individual characteristics, and basic, noticeable qualities.
When guessing someone’s sign, it would be more appropriate to guess their rising sign! In astrology, the rising sign is the part of an individual’s personal chart that can give us a likelihood of their physical appearance. No one really sees how we are actually striving to be more like our sun signs are until they have gotten to know us quite well and the majority of people don’t understand this about astrology. Because the first house gives us a basis for our appearance, it is not uncommon for someone with the same rising sign as you to also have similar physical features. The first house and rising sign could easily be remembered as the packaging on the gift. It’s the first thing you get to look at before opening it to see what it really contains within the pretty outer layer.
The Rising Sign and the First House:
Whatever sign rules your first house, is likely your rising sign, but this isn’t always the case. On rare occasions, it is a different sign. Regardless, the rising sign is one of the most important parts of your entire chart, along with the Sun sign and Moon sign. To show you what I mean, look below at many female celebrities who have Cancer as their rising sign. Obviously, I’m not a celebrity, but to make a point of how similar the physical appearances generally are, due to sharing a rising sign, I added my photo in the middle.
All of these women below are Cancer Rising and so am I! Crazy, huh?
Having Cancer rising means that the chart ruler would be the Moon because Cancer is ruled by the Moon. Why? Likewise, a person who was Taurus or Libra rising is ruled by Venus, for example, while a Sagittarius rising would be ruled by Jupiter.
Every rising sign has a set of distinct features that are unique to each one. With Cancer rising and the Moon as the chart ruler or even having the Moon in the first house, gives us lighter skin than our siblings; which is usually a sort of silvery-olive skin tone. Most of us have naturally dark hair and big, round, and often brightly colored eyes. It’s also common to see wide smiles, a strong and square jaw, prominent cheeks, highly arched eyebrows, thin arms and legs, and a particularly distinct way of walking.
We can also be noticeably compassionate, caring, sensitive, protective over loved ones, intuitive, and crabby! 🦀
For more information about the rising sign, click here.
Planets in the First House:
- Sun: Confident, warm, child-like fun, can act immature, animated, selfish, natural comedian, throws childish fits, generous, highly attractive, successful using creative abilities, popular, will not express doubts of self, optimistic, generous, vain, giving, loves being admired, seeks validation and attention, very honest, self-centered, domineering, knows no boundaries, independent nature, does community work, boastful, heroic, and can easily motivate others. Very thick hair, dramatic way of moving, prominent features, and exaggerated head and shoulders.
- Moon: Emotions easily read by facial expressions, extreme mood swings, both talkative and silent, sensitive, unassuming, kind, gentle, protective, needy, nurturing, overly-sensitive, sense people and the environment through feelings, intuitive- even psychic, insecure, empathetic, comforting, cold and detached, trusts gut more than eyes, reserved, needs security, highly emotionally intelligent, and often hurt when pain wasn’t intended. Silvery-olive skin, dark hair, round-shaped face, wide hips, and thin arms and legs.
- Mercury: Bubbly, curious, manipulative, clever, talkative, intelligent, inquisitive, has a strong sense of self (and other self), will argue for days, quirky, adventurous, scientific, intellectual, tends to tell white lies, anxious, high mental energy, needs constant stimulation, quirky, a student forever, jittery and constantly bouncing and buzzing around, nervous energy, the life of the party, and needs space and company at different times. Moves very quickly, uses exaggerated hand gestures with speech, and is both athletic and thin.
- Venus: Resourceful, slow and steady moving, self-indulgent, reserved, needs creative outlet, has a love for the arts and beautiful things, highly enjoys comfort, stubborn and fixed in their ways, resistant to changes, patient, self-reliant, charming, lazy, thick/curvy, craves stability, values material possessions, sensual, finds greatest pleasure in physical senses, jealous, passionate, can be pushy, loyal, and possessive of things and people. Solid, strong body, tendency to gain weight easily, broad shoulders, and wide or thick neck.
- Mars: Confident, energetic, reckless, inconsiderate of other’s feelings without thought, determined, courageous, aggressive, possessive, athletic, inflexible, competitive, hands-on, the alpha masculine, likes weapons, looks physically strong and powerful, has/will have many scars and burns (one on the face), daring, self-expressive and verbal, hard-working, warrior mentality, highly competitive, and plays many sports throughout life. Facial marks and injuries, reddish skin, very athletic body, and swift, precise movements.
- Jupiter: Adventurous, philosophical, tendency to be overly optimistic, very curvy body, always on a quest, highly outgoing, lacking commonsense, vivacious, always smiling- even through tears, seeks new experiences, loves to travel, generous, says profound things at random, asks the big questions, gullible, trusts too easily, possesses much spirit, loves having fun, aims to kill, naturally flirty personality, and doesn’t budge. Has a broad smile, round face, is clumsy, and makes exaggerated movements.
- Saturn: Hard-working, serious personality, highly sarcastic, capable but cautious, pessimistic, big concern for material life, structured, trustworthy, disciplined, boring, ambitious, successful after their twenties, a born leader, dictator, too critical of others, supportive, never satisfied, high level of endurance, committed to responsibilities, self-loathing, will choose career over health, limited by guilt, and concerned for reputation. Cold and unapproachable stance, sharp, but small features- sometimes birdlike, and is thinner than others.
- Uranus: Highly independent, constant needs for freedom and liberation, adaptable, unpredictable, easily transformed by experiences, dismissive of others, natural social reformer, both extra- and introverted depending on mood, control freak, will disappear at random, always authentic to individual self, trendsetter, high and mighty attitude, unnecessarily defensive, judgmental of those with different opinions, and is very expressive of self. Walks quickly, moves in a careless way, bold facial features, and has an eccentric fashion sense.
- Neptune: Highly receptive, has no boundaries, very gentle, tends to overshare, great listener, understanding, deeply spiritual, super friendly, constant urge to escape reality, malleable, addictive behaviors, tends to cry a lot, overactive imagination, can’t be pinned down, great love for animals, often appears lost, highly artistically inclined, intuition over critical thinking, never pays attention to outer world and falls into danger easily, self-sacrificing a mystical being. Large eyes, short, long eyelashes, and small hands and feet.
- Pluto: Strong and intense feelings, secretive, mysterious, sexually driven, obsessive, extremely high highs and low lows, paranoid, passionate, strategically manipulates situations and environments, forever friend, fearless enemy, romantic, pushes all boundaries, unconsciously demanding and strong presence, self-destructive, unstoppable, great force, vengeful, aggressive, and powerful. Muscular, strong body, deep and penetrating eyes, shows little emotion with facial expressions, and has a yellow hue to skin.
From Within the Labyrinth,