The Moon’s Representation in Astrology:
Sign it Rules: Cancer
Astrological House Association: 4th
The moon is the fastest-moving object frequently used in astrology. Like a mother to our Earth, Luna is always just outside of the atmosphere and because of this, she is responsible for an incredibly important job on this planet: controlling the tides. Our lovely moon has the task of the movement of Earth’s water due to the gravitational pull and for this reason, our moon is closely associated with the element of water, while water is associated with emotions, feelings, and intuition.
The moon is a symbol of the mother, feminine energy, the female hormones, feminine reproduction, mood shifts, how we nurture others, how affectionate we are, how we accept affection, maternity, motherhood, pregnancy, the past, home, earliest part of our lives, our actual birth, early childhood, our actual mother, and our relationship with our mother or any other mother figures.
More intimately, the moon is the symbol of the inner self and the unconscious mind. It symbolizes deeper and often repressed inner needs, desires, feelings, safety, protection, security, immediate emotional reactions and responses, intuition, reflection, imagination, dreams during sleep, and the most sensitive parts of ourselves, which are often hidden from those who don’t know us well and sometimes it’s even hidden from ourselves.
As far as the physical body, the moon is responsible for the breasts, stomach, digestive system, uterus, ovaries, cervix, etc. This means that if you have any health issues surrounding these areas/organs, the moon may have some benefic aspects to be examined and considered.
The Moon Through the Signs:
1. Aries– If your moon sign is in Aries, you possess a passionate, inner need to do things on your own. You don’t like criticism because you prefer to learn independently as you go. You’ll likely not easily listen if someone insists on attempting to teach you something because this makes you feel inferior, but if you do listen, it’s possible you’ll suppress feelings of resentment. Your dynamism is your leading personality aspect, but you may be easily frustrated due to things simply not going your way. Agitation becomes obvious when you’re not the best at something from the start or when someone else is equally as good as you.
You may have a tendency to get angry inside rather than sad and this may be due to subconsciously holding the belief that tears equal weakness, but if tears fall anyway, you’ll likely feel more angry with yourself. To others, your deeper emotions are usually expressed through displays of attitude and occasionally the abuse of nearby material objects. Having your moon in Aries can cause some tension through difficulty in facing and expressing genuinely your negative emotions. As a result, it’s possible that you feel a part of you is trapped inside of yourself or that your emotions are blocked somehow. Breathing exercises and meditation could help you balance the energy pent up within.
2. Taurus– This bull-headed moon sign spends the majority of its time creating stability and building immovable foundations. However, as this is the Taurus exaltation, these individuals are also pleasure-seekers. Having a down-to-earth, mellow attitude, (depending on other chart variables), they can sometimes prefer avoiding the reality of common problems in their lives and act quite passively instead. The trouble with this is that they will oftentimes withdraw from their own needs. To ensure their environments remain comfortable and without change, they give a heavier dose of energy toward the needs of others without even realizing it.
Although Taurus Moon is patient with others, eventually they become tired of feeling overwhelmed by the imbalance of give and take and tend to suddenly explode, causing them to temporarily, seemingly become someone else. Their responses are often more receptive, but this can leave others feeling like they never know what’s going on inside of them. Although Taurus Moon is a pleasure to be around most of the time, their emotions, insecurities, fears, etc. likely stay under the surface of their strong exterior. One reason for this is that they may have an unconscious habit of looking too closely into small details to protect themselves from perceived threats, which can create a barrier between who they are and who they appear to be.
3. Gemini– With the Moon in Gemini, you may have a deep desire to know as much as you possibly can. Some may even call you an information addict. If a question is asked and no one knows, you’ll probably be the first one searching on Google. It works the same way when it comes to gossip because you likely become excited when others come to you to “spill the tea.” Instinctively, you are a multi-tasker; constantly moving from one group of people to another, or from one task to another, while effortlessly blending in. No matter what direction you’re headed in any given moment, you’re the one who’s actively enjoying the experiences as they come. It may be best to pay close attention to how thin you spread your energy because doing too many things at once not only means you’ll get less done, but you’ll eventually burn out and reach a point of exhaustion, risking your health and safety.
Gemini Moon often has a hard time expressing emotions as they truly feel them, if they allow themselves to feel their emotions at all. Instead, they tend to rationalize everything and unfortunately, this leaves many of their feelings trapped inside of them. This can cause frustration and oftentimes a sense of being hollow or empty inside. This placement sometimes doesn’t realize that this is confusing for others because it leads to frequent projections onto people in their lives, as their overwhelming, mental energy tries to find a way to make sense of reality, provoking them to ground and reflect.
4. Cancer– Having your Moon sign in cancer can seem difficult to tame. Here, the Moon is in its sign of rulership, making it at home in Cancer. The sometimes negative side to this placement is that these people feel every emotion extremely intensely. They may act as though they need to guard themselves against others and this can lead to a tendency to isolate or trap themselves inside their room for extended periods. Either they are hermits or they’re tons of fun to be around, making sure everyone feels their strong and affectionate love. It’s important they have support from family or friends because they’re frequently misunderstood by their ease of emotional expression as being too sensitive, causing them a sense of shame, especially while they’re young.
Cancer Moons are hyper-sensitive beings with unmatched intuitive wisdom, which can occasionally be overwhelming to them. They may perhaps deal with severe anxiety as a result, especially in social dynamics outside of the family. Their behavior comes from their instincts, making them prone to sleepwalking or physically acting out their dreams as they continue to sleep. As they are channels for transmitting cosmic or divine information, they can carry strong emotional burdens, which are usually inherited from the mother. Fortunately, Cancer Moon is built perfectly to transmute these energies.
5. Leo– Having one’s natal Moon in Leo demands respect and admiration instead of love and likeability, but they may be too prideful to ask for a lot. Extremely supportive, fierce, and loyal friends, this placement is like no other moon sign to have on your good side. As they grow up, they may seem shy, but the more comfortable they become in their skin, the more apparent it is that they’re Leos. Once the confidence blooms, so does the internal pressure that urges them to become a leader. When they fear they’re falling short, they have a tendency to become depressed. It’s simply hard for them to admit defeat or to be told something is impossible. They’re not easily convinced that their charm, hard work, or creativity isn’t enough to lead them to the top.
They feel a vast and wide range of emotions and while they express them with ease, they may also express them with style. Although they purposely use their ability to create drama for entertainment purposes and laughs once you know them well enough, they don’t generally try to dramatize their feelings because they dislike gaining sympathy. Unfortunately for these lionhearts, they unintentionally radiate their emotions heavily, sometimes causing others to feel anxious around them! If they’re happy and their unconscious and internal Moon is in balance, however, then you’ll be on their high too and it’s a plane that can only be reached by the sun, which Leo rules 🌞
6. Virgo– Hating any spotlight on them and always fleeing from undesired attention, they have no qualms with choosing the sidelines. Virgo Moon is even more guarded than Virgo Sun and has a preference for being known by their peers as an intelligent wallflower! They enjoy playing their part in the background, having no issue with not getting the pat on the back they already gave themselves anyway. Within their groups, they are the supportive therapists, who freely give sage, yet rational advice.
With the Moon here, this individual seems picky and critical of others, but it’s due to their own lack of self-confidence because they frequently compare themselves to others. This type of person does best with love and encouragement from those they choose to keep close. They aim to please and most likely show their love to others by teaching them about things that they’re currently passionate about. If they’ve taken an interest in something, they may know nearly everything about it. Knowledge is the area where Virgo Moon gets comfortable. It’s the only time you may notice that Virgo Moon, possessing tact, grace, precision, and patience, is secretly the hunter and you are the prey. Oh, and it’s too late if you’ve just now noticed because they’ve already decided you’re the next meal.
7. Libra– There is an odd trend of natal Libra Moons getting married quite early in life! Most of the time, they end up marrying their high school sweetheart or their first love. If not marriage, they have likely had a long and serious relationship very early in life. Having a seriously deep need to bond with someone close to them, they form solid partnerships only. If they lack this, they may act out in ways. This common tendency suggests that they create chaos to stir changes at an unconscious level.
Like Libra Sun, Libra Moon rarely goes anywhere alone and has many large groups of friends. They truly feel they can belong anywhere and people love having them around too. They’re usually well-liked by the majority because they don’t enjoy feelings that aren’t harmonious and therefore, create harmony where they can. Striving for the best, they can sometimes have an idealistic outlook on things and unfortunately, this can lead to unforeseen disappointments. They’re easily excited thinking of possibilities, but easily hurt when their ideals don’t meet their expectations. Seeing a world through rose-colored lenses of what can always be improved, they can often forget to look at what is already going well and miss out on opportunities right in front of them.
8. Scorpio– Sensual, intuitive, and very intense, Scorpio Moon has a knack for diving into someone else’s hidden world with a mere glance, but they possess the understanding that we’re all human inside. When provoked, they’re not opposed to going to great lengths to get revenge, but they don’t go through life wishing to hurt anyone at all. In fact, they prefer not to, but if they can justify why they must, then they will. They’re imaginative, passionate, and ambitious too, so they won’t quit until they’ve gotten whoever they’re chasing- whether it be for love, hate, or out of obsession.
This placement can mean that this person senses deep, unconscious emotions in others that perhaps others don’t recognize within themselves as possessing. They can make the people in their lives feel like they’re somehow reading their minds and it can become triggering. This can create paranoia in both parties, but the mystery can be an intriguing, alluring draw toward Scorpio Moons. Lastly, this placement has the ability to feel the physical discomfort of other people as well. They’re sometimes frighteningly in tune with others without even trying. As a result, this can lead their family, friends, and even strangers deep into their own minds, and if used with good intentions, they can work healing miracles.
9. Sagittarius– Your internal likeness is a laughing, world-wondering Buddha-type; who is waiting for the next greatest experience of life. That way, you can gather your thoughts and chase after your new curiosity! Because you do have so many awe-inspired sparks of sudden interest, you might have a habit of leaving projects unfished. As you attempt to tie up loose ends of one thing, you may grow tired and impatient before it’s ever done. As a result, your eyes uncontrollably wander elsewhere without hesitation and then you effortlessly become fascinated by something brand new.
Inside of you, Sagittarius Moon, is the heart of a philosopher, always delving into seriously huge questions about life and existence. You might have a curiosity in metaphysics, giving you a dreamy and romantic quality to your optimistic personality. You take in interests, hobbies, and projects constantly, but you might lack the dedication to stay around long enough to become a master at anything. The phrase, “jack of all trades and master of none,” potentially describes your most basic personality. It’s the excitement of the future that attracts you, Sag. Staying in the present is something you’re good at when it comes to adventures and enjoyable conversation, but your motivation comes with the mindset of how it impacts everything ahead of you. It may be helpful for you to remember that the grass can be green here too.
10. Capricorn– Your sense of self-respect and self-love seems to be defined by how successful you are, but your standards are quite high for yourself as your goals are in favor of basically needing a miracle to achieve them. You’re not like most people, however, and can do anything with the amount of determination you possess, as long as you keep trying! Not until you’ve at least surpassed your own standards will you give in though because you don’t take your focused eye off the prize in mind. You’re quite independent, reserved, ambitious, and sometimes a bit bossy. This is likely due to having the confidence that you’re correct and usually, you are correct, aren’t you?
Being a cardinal sign, Capricorn likes to manage. Oftentimes though, you might not realize you can come off as cold and cutting in your communication. Because you may doubt your emotions, despite being confident in most other areas, you can be confusing for others. Your actions and reactions are sometimes based on your need to succeed and the mood you’re in is based on how much you’re accomplishing that day. So, one day you’re ready to commit to a relationship and the next you don’t even call. Either way, it’s important to be a bit more cautious of how and what you give and take and consider whether it’s for the right reasons. Feeling vulnerable may be quite an uncomfortable place for you and you’re more likely to avoid the need to do so. When you do open up and allow the possibility of attachments to form, you’re generally glad you did.
11. Aquarius– Perhaps you enjoy spending much of your time in group chats or discussions; investing in interesting ideas by communicating unguarded and unfiltered theories with like-minded people. You aren’t afraid to get too close because you’re one of the few who understands that you’re never truly alone and yet you somehow remain a free and independent mover and shaker in all that you do. You’re a natural freedom fighter and you will rally for your cause, no matter the consequence. Your attitude is always to buy out and it’s highly liberating, but you always try to play fair!
It’s truly not as easy for everyone to just do as they please, Aquarius Moon, and this is why you’re so unique! If you look deeply within yourself, at some point, you may realize that you crave deeper and more meaningful connections with others. Because you would never settle for less than you deserve, however, the possibility of meeting that person feels too far away. Try not to spread yourself too thin with shallow, short relationships because you’ll be popular regardless of the effort you put in. More meaningful relationships will be as open to you as you are to them. The people in your life desire your loyalty and your love, but you are righteous in your movement. As a natural rebel-type of personality, you can seem hard to catch for too long.
12. Pisces– If your natal Moon sign is Pisces, you don’t exactly need words to understand how someone truly feels because you sense the truth without them. You sometimes leave others feeling exposed when you psychically read them without even meaning to. You’re an emotional sponge within every atmosphere and this can lead you to depression if not handled with care. If you’ve previously been unaware that you possess this ability, you may be a victim of empathetic exhaustion. Although you’re very supportive and gentle to those you care about, you can get easily overwhelmed by intense energies from negative feelings or motivations and it’s important you take plenty of time to decompress.
For this placement to stay more organized and on top of your responsibilities, don’t forget to also make time to do things you authentically enjoy. For you to feel fulfillment in love, you frequently need to be reminded that you already have it. The best way for you to accomplish this is by always having a pet or two at home. In fact, the more, the better! You understand that distortions in verbal communication can create confusion and misunderstandings and sometimes having certain companions who can’t speak the way humans do will become your best friends. Having this comfort always present will help keep you to keep going when you want to give up. This is because having furry family members who depend on you for their survival allows you to feel more capable and confident.
- According to Cafe Astrology, the Moon in astrology represents our deepest personal needs, basic habits and reactions, and our unconscious.
- Your Moon Phase provides 50 moon quotes about love, astrology, and space. One of the quotes states, “The moon is a friend for the lonesome to talk to”.
- Well+Good explains that the eight moon phases in astrology can provide insights into your personality and help you understand the emotional tone of your life.
When you look up at the moon tonight, remember…
You are more than your sun sign!