- Symbol: Aphrodite
- Rules: Taurus and Libra
- Associated Tarot Card: The Empress
- Associated House(s): 2 and 7
Venus in Science:
Venus is often referred to as Earth’s “sister planet” due to its similar size and composition. There is one difference, however, that makes them vastly different. You may be surprised to learn that Venus has the hottest surface temperature of any planet in our solar system! This means that it’s not a candidate to host any type of life forms that we know of in existence. Venus is covered in vast volcanic plains, mountains, and impact craters. However, due to the planet’s dense atmosphere, it is challenging to observe its surface in detail.
Interestingly, what is likely most noticeable about Venus is that it rotates on its axis in the opposite direction when compared to most other planets. Therefore, due to these findings, science has given it a name we now call a retrograde rotation. Unlike the frequent retrograding planet Mercury, Venus is only in a true retrograde for 6 weeks out of the year.
Lastly, and perhaps the most unbelievable fact is that a day on Venus is longer than its year. Although this sounds strange, it’s remarkably true! One Venusian day takes approximately 243 Earth days, but Venus orbits the Sun faster than Earth at about 225 days, meaning Venus orbits faster than it rotates!
Let me know in the comments below if you’re struggling to believe Venus is that weird!
Venus in Astrology:
Venus is the planet of beauty, love, art, sensuality, romance, decor, money, material possessions, sensory indulgence, pleasure, dating, aesthetics, one’s taste, balance, comfort, harmony, attractions, attachments, affections, food enjoyment, entertainment, fashion sense, clothing style, musical taste, lovers, grace, charm, receptivity, dancing, singing, painting, writing, literature, design, femininity, submissiveness, passion, parties, gatherings, venues, elegance, etc.
Venus governs romantic relationships, partnerships, and the way we express affection. It influences our desires, attractions, and the qualities we seek in a partner. Both Taurus and Libra would possess at least some of these qualities, depending on other factors. Some things that set them apart are their qualities and elements. Taurus is fixed quality with Earth element, while Libra is cardinal quality and Air. Both signs are charming, and passionate, and adore comfort and pleasure under the rule of Venus.
Obviously, not everyone has their planet Venus in the signs that Venus rules, which are Taurus and Libra. If you’re like me, you may have a more destructive Venus placement, like Venus in Scorpio, for example. This means that all of the things that Venus generally does smoothly and sensually will be more difficult to express and explore for various reasons, depending on the sign your particular Venus was in at the time of your birth.
Having Venus as a Chart Ruler:
Whether you’re a Rising Taurus or Libra, your chart ruler is the planet Venus.
You’re probably a great host! When guests arrive at your home, you’re welcoming and comforting, asking them if they need something to drink or perhaps a blanket. If they refuse the snack that you’re insisting they try, you insist further until they give in because you desire them to understand how tasty it is with you. It isn’t infrequent that small things like this are enjoyable topics of conversation for you.
You have impeccable taste in most things, but you may spend money a bit too frivolously. A lot of this money tends to go toward unnecessary, new clothes or other material goods, which you simply find difficulty in resisting all for the sake of pleasure. Having a need to feed your senses and feel all of earth’s pleasures, you may be quite indulgent; whether it be food, perfume, sex, or drugs. You may possess a tendency to get lost in the richness your senses are capable of providing you.
Beginning to date younger than most, you have probably had quite a few love affairs. If not, you may spend a good deal of your time focusing on thinking about romantic escapades or perhaps daydreaming of the perfect love. There are those ruled by Venus who move through relationships often and those who are waiting for the perfect love and have incredibly high expectations. Regardless of which type you identify as you’re likely quite aesthetically pleasing and may have others come onto you nearly everywhere you go or at least many who stare.
Venus Through the Signs:
- Aries– Fiery, passionate, competitive impulsive, and independent approach to love and relationships. This placement usually has a preference for taking the dominant role.
- Taurus– Enjoys Indulging in acts of pleasure. This placement also represents sensuality, loyalty, and a strong desire for stability and security in relationships.
- Gemini– Playful, witty, and very messy placement that indicates a need for intellectual stimulation, communication, and variety in relationships
- Cancer– Prefers gentle acts of kindness, this placement signifies emotional depth, nurturing tendencies, and a strong attachment to family and home.
- Leo– Has a need to always be number one. This placement represents a desire for grand gestures, attention, and a dramatic approach to love and relationships.
- Virgo– Performs selfless acts of service. This placement signifies practicality, attention to detail, and a need for order and reliability in relationships.
- Libra– Creates beautiful and artistic environments. This placement represents a strong sense of fairness, diplomacy, and a desire for harmony and balance in relationships.
- Scorpio– Often a tendency toward power plays, this placement signifies intensity, passion, and a deep need for emotional connection and transformation in relationships.
- Sagittarius– Affectionate through freedom and exotic times, this placement represents a love for adventure, freedom, and a need for intellectual stimulation in relationships.
- Capricorn– Traditional, dedicated, and reserved, this placement signifies ambition, practicality, and a desire for long-term commitment and security in relationships.
- Aquarius– Needs a lot of space for friendships, and represents a need for independence, uniqueness, and a desire for intellectual and emotional connection in relationships.
- Pisces– Having oul connections and musical involvement, this placement signifies sensitivity, compassion, and a strong connection to the spiritual and emotional aspects of love and relationships.
- NASA – Venus: https://solarsystem.nasa.gov/planets/venus/overview/
- Astrology.com – Venus: https://www.astrology.com/venus
- The Old Farmer’s Almanac – Venus in the Zodiac Signs: https://www.almanac.com/content/venus-signs-astrology-zodiac-signs
From Within the Labyrinth,